Be custom-made / custom-built /tailor-made: để chỉ cái gì đó được làm theo số đo
- VD : It seems to me that you’re tailor made for the job
Be made / built to last: có khả năng chỗng chịu tôt
- VD : This Roland piano is really made to last with such high quality material.
Be rough and ready: chất lượng tầm thấp
- VD : He doesn’t have a lot of time to look for accomodation. He just stays in that rough and ready flat near his office.
Give the credit when it’s due: khen khi ai đó đáng được khen
- VD: You haven’t done anything admirable yet. I’ll give the credit when it’s due instead of praising you so soon.
It’s no less than you deserve: Bạn xứng đáng nhận được điều đó
- VD : You have worked to hard to become a manager. It’s no less than you deserve.
Way to go! Rất tốt!
- VD: What? You win the singing contest? Way to go buddy🙂
There’s room for improvement: Vẫn còn có cái để cải thiện
- VD : The system is still defective. There’s room for improvement here
That’s not good enough: Chưa tốt lắm
What a load of crap: Toàn thứ linh tinh!
In all likelihood: Cái chắc chắn nhất là
- VD : In all likelihood, he will go regardless of your decision.
It stands to reason: Điều lô-gic là
- It stands to reason why he doesn’t lose weight. He never exercises.
Just in case: để đề phòng
- VD : It hasn’t rained yet, but I’ll take the umbrella just in case
The odds are: Điều chắc chắn là
- VD : The odds are your house will be broken in if you don’t lock the door.
It’s a dead certain: cái này chắc chắn rồi (UK)
- VD : She’s dead cert for the job, for all the experience she got.
the odds–on favourite: là thứ có khả năng cao nhất
- VD : The odds-on favourite to win this tennis game is Daniel.
I/sb saw it coming: Tôi đã thấy nó đến
- VD : No one expects the factory to close. But I saw it coming
It comes as no surprise to sb: Không có gì là bất ngờ cả
- VD : It comes as no surprise to me as she became such a famous singer. She has such a wonderful voice.
No surprise there: Không có gì là bất ngờ cả
- VD : She failed the test. No surprise there because she didn’t study anything at all.
Not by a long shot: Không có khả năng xảy ra
- VD : You think I’m going to lend you money again? Think again! I’m not doing thí by a long shot
Be bound to happen / be set to happen: Sẽ sảy ra
- VD : The weather suddenly turns cool and windy. A storm is bound to happen
Be a forgone conclusion: 1 điều đã được kết luận trước
- VD : She has been delaying paying the rent for 2 months now. Her being forced out of the room is only a foregone conclusion.
Cut it fine: chỉ có thời gian vừa đủ để làm gì đó
- VD : She arrived only 5 minutes before the test. She just cut it fine!
Jump the gun: quá vội vàng
- VD : We’re just met. Don’t you think you are jumping the gun to be talking about marriage now?
Time’s up!: Đã hết thời gian
All time in the world: Có thừa thời gian
- VD : She always seems to have all time in the world. Such a lazy person!
For long as it takes/ take your time: làm đến bao lâu cũng được
- VD : Take your time using the computer. I don’t need it now.