Bad: of poor or inferior quality, not acceptable
In some parts of the world, it is considered bad manners to pick up food or cutlery with the left hand.
That remark was in bad taste, wasn’t it?
Are the company’s current difficulties a result of bad luck or bad judgment?
- Atrocious: of very bad quality
:an atrocious film/piece of acting
The weather has been atrocious all week.
Conditions in the prison were atrocious.
The children have been behaving absolutely atrociously.
- Abominable: very bad or unpleasant:
The prisoners are forced to live in abominable conditions.
The weather’s been abominable all week.
He behaved abominably towards her.
- Dreadful: very bad, of very low quality, or shocking and very sad:
The food was bad and the service was dreadful.
I was beginning to think I’d made a dreadful mistake.
The news report was so dreadful that I just had to switch it off.
- Disagreeable: unpleasant:
a rather disagreeable young man
She said some very disagreeable things.
- Sickening: extremely unpleasant and causing you to feel shock and anger:
The slaves were treated with sickening cruelty.
There was a sickening thud when the child fell from the tree and hit the ground.
- Grotesque: strange and unpleasant, especially in a silly or slightly frightening way:
By now she’d had so much cosmetic surgery that she looked quite grotesque.
Gothic churches are full of devils and grotesque figures.
a grotesquely fat manMy views were grotesquely (= extremely) misrepresented
- Appalling: very bad:
The journey home was appalling.
Prisoners were kept in the most appalling conditions.
The number of casualties was appallingly high in both wars.
The whole play was appallingly (= very badly) acted.
- Abysmal: very bad:
abysmal working conditions
The food was abysmal.
The standard of the students’ work is abysmal.
- Substandard: below a satisfactory standard:
substandard housing/accommodationsubstandard work/goods
- Inferior: not good, or not as good as someone or something else:
These products are inferior to those we bought last year.
She cited cases in which women had received inferior healthcare
It was clear the group were regarded as intellectually/morally/socially inferior.
- Undesirable: not wanted, approved of, or popular:
Houses near industrial sites often do not sell so quickly because they are regarded as undesirable.